Monday 6 July 2009

Dazed and Comic-Con Fused.


There's been a veritably flurry of good news for the soon-to-be-renamed 'Schrödinger's Girl' of late - first it signed to US sales agent Multivisionnaire, and now I can proudly announce that it will be screening at this year's Comic-Con in San Diego! Plus, I've been asked to go along and speak at the convention after the film! I'll also be in Los Angeles for a few days prior to the Con, exploring and meeting people along with director Huw Bowen and fellow star of SG Damian Hayes. This is literally the most excited I've been since I got a Bumblebee action figure for my 6th birthday. Squeee!

For those who don't share my nerd-esque tendencies and have no idea what Comic-Con is, think of it as Lourdes for the terminally geeky, where fans of all things genre turn up in their droves every year to worship at the altar of awesome. It's the biggest such convention in the world (celebrating its 40th anniversary this year) and I've been wanting to attend for as long as I can remember so the mere idea that a film I appear in will be there to entertain fellow fans is enough to make my head spin. Very cool news indeed! Aside from wandering around the convention for five days soaking up the atmosphere like some kind of wide-eyed sponge before taking to the podium/desk/darkened corner with Bowen et al. to chat to fans about the film, I've also got a few interviews lined up which I'm very much looking forward to - well, it just wouldn't do for me to have an actual HOLIDAY, now would it? Heheh, as IF talking about comics and sci-fi is work. God, I love my job.

As you might have gathered I'm proudly out of the closet as a sci-fi lover so obviously I adored being part of 'Schrödinger's Girl', but for me the best thing was that the parallel worlds aspect allowed every character to appear in a different guise in each world. In fact I ended up playing more roles than any other actor in the film - a total of five characters - as well as providing the voice of the mysterious Q computer, and some of my parts were rather bizarre to say the least (being baldcapped and chained to a wall for a day of filming was a particularly memorable experience!).

For those of you who haven't heard about the film yet, let me tell you a little summat about it to whet your appetites: It's a parallel universe sci-fi feature film exploring alternate histories via three different versions of the UK: the first is much as ours is, the second is a technologically advanced utopia of slick, apple-esque gorgeousness, and the third, the People's Republic of Great Britain, is a dark and grimy Commie dictatorship. Chuck in an illegal supercomputer, a vial of neural accelerant and some ill-advised quantum tunnelling experiments and you have a chase through realities as one hapless scientist attempts to undo the damage she's caused and return the world to normal before her alternate selves can interfere.

So far SG has had screenings in locations as diverse as Cannes and Swansea (where the SG team, pictured above, turned up at the International Film Festival) and I think this diversity is a nice little geographical echo of just how broad the appeal of this film is. Yes, it's a sci-fi film (and I fully understand how that label alone can be enough to put some people off) but rest assured it's not just one for the geek patrol. I was very pleasantly surprised by how accessible the technological side of the script was to the average 'normie' viewer, allowing the audience to make as much or as little of that side of things as they chose to by letting the action carry the main weight of the plot, while simultaneously refusing to dumb down and including some great geeky in-jokes - no mean feat! There's also some fantastic subtle comedy in there, mainly in the form of wry observations from 'space cops' doubleact Slip and Hand, and the special effects have already been soundly praised by critics.

The guys at Quiet Earth liked it (and they're people who know a thing or two about genre films! Read the review here) and I reckon you will too so I'll keep you updated about where and when you can next see it. If you're lucky enough to have Comic-Con tickets then do check it out - it's closing the festival on Sunday 26th at 3.40pm - and if you see me wandering about with my mouth hanging open feel free to say hi, or offer me a paper bag to breathe into.

See you in SD!

Milly x

No comments:

Post a Comment