Saturday 18 July 2009

Amelia to report from Comic-Con International for the Sci Fi Channel

Originally published on official Sci Fi Channel websites in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Russia.

Well hello, sci-fi-ers!

Er... hi. Who are you?
I'm Amelia. Hullo. Although this is my first blog for this site chances are you already know me (or my voice, anyway) as I'm a continuity announcer on the Sci Fi Channel.

So why have you escaped the glowing confinement of my screen to talk to me on here?
Well, when I'm not on the tellybox informing you all about the delights of Dollhouse, Heroes et al. I'm also an actress and one of the feature films I appeared in last year is screening at this year's Comic-Con in San Diego. Because of this I've been asked to go along to speak on the panel and will be wandering around open-mouthed and gaping at the geeky wonderousness for the full event, including the exclusive preview night (where I'll get to see sneaky screenings of new shows which haven't even aired in the US yet).

I'm sure tonnes of people would love to to go but can't so I'm going to be letting you fine chaps and chapesses in on the action by doing a daily blog for scifi.co.uk, taking pictures AND filming a video diary.

I'm Comic-Con-fused. What on earth are you drivelling about?
Comic-Con is like Lourdes for the terminally geeky, where fans of all things genre turn up in their droves every year to worship at the altar of awesome. It's the biggest such convention in the world (celebrating its 40th anniversary this year) and many companies use it to break all kinds of exciting news to the masses, show never-before-seen, brand spanking new episodes and films, and release limited run collector editions of all kinds of cool stuff that can only be obtained at the 'Con.

Speakers for this year include Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku (for Dollhouse), David Tennant, John Barrowman and Russell T Davies (for Dr. Who/Torchwood) and Tim Kring plus assorted cast members (for Heroes) to name but a few! For full details of what's going to be shown take a look at the official Comic-Con website (kudos to anyone who reads the entire list without getting a joy-induced migraine).

So... if there's anything you'd like me to check out while I'm there, from comics to TV shows and anything in between, then just give me a shout and I'll do my best to cover it. Just post a comment under this blog or hit me up on Twitter. Easy peasy.

What's this film malarkey all about, then?
The film I'll be on the panel for is an independent British sci-fi feature called 'Schrödinger's Girl' which was shot early last year. Read that again: British. Science fiction. Feature. Yes, it IS possible. It's also deeply awesome.

I'm intrigued. Entice me.
Alright then, I will! Do you like inter-dimensional travel? Evil parallel selves? Worlds colliding? Geeky in-jokes? How about zombie brain slaves and lashings of blood? This film has it all.

It's a parallel universe flick exploring alternate histories via three different versions of the UK: the first is much as ours is, the second's a technologically advanced utopia of slick, apple-esque gorgeousness, and the third, the People's Republic of Great Britain, is a dark and grimy Commie dictatorship. Chuck in an illegal supercomputer, a vial of neural accelerant and some ill-advised quantum tunnelling experiments and you have a chase through realities as one hapless scientist attempts to undo the damage she's caused and return the world to normal before her alternate selves can interfere.

I ended up playing more roles than any other actor in the film - a total of five characters - as well as providing the voice of the mysterious Q computer (a sort of Brit-chick version of GLaDos), and some of my parts were rather bizarre to say the least (being baldcapped and chained to a wall for a day of filming was a particularly memorable experience!).

'Schrödinger's Girl' will be closing the film festival portion of Comic-Con at 3:40pm on Sunday the 26th of July and I'll post more details about where you can next see it in the UK when the new trailer goes up online.

Sounds like fun. Who's GLaDOS?
Seriously? Oh my god... Play 'Portal'. NOW.

So yeah, apart from battling jetlag and spending a couple of days in LA that's what I'll be doing. All very, very cool and more than a little exciting. Bulb changed. Brown alert engaged. Be cool, Tyler, just be cool. And remember to breathe.

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts and suggestions for what you'd like me to cover. Take care and play nice,

Milly

No comments:

Post a Comment