Friday 7 August 2009

SDCC Day 3 - Questions, questions, questions!

Originally published on official Sci Fi Channel websites in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Russia.

The thing I really loved about Comic-Con is that no two people attending it would have had the same experience - the sheer size of it makes that totally impossible and there are a million random events that could change the course of your day. It's like some kind of geektastic butterfly effect - a stormtrooper coughs in the line for Ballroom 20 and suddenly a bunch of pirates are attacking a Pokemon stall. Even if you can't get into one of the big panels there are still a tonne of other fantastic things out there for your geeky delectation, and trust me when I say fantastic (hmm... do I check out what the io9 crowd have to say, see Sigourney Weaver or brave the queue for the BSG/Caprica panel? Decisions, decisions!).

Sometimes, however, a girl has such complex decisions made for her and this was definitely one of those times. Yup, today was 'Interview Day' and while others were emptying their savings in the exhibition hall and woo-ing at the panels I spent most of it with various reporters and documentary-makers, answering questions about my life, my work, the colour of my socks and countless other bizarre subjects. Luckily I more often than not welcome tricky decisions being made for me (in fact I've often said I was born to be an actress simply because I've no idea how to sort out my own hair, makeup or wardrobe and will happily obey when told where to stand and what to do) and lounging in the glorious San Diego sunshine talking about all things sci-fi definitely wasn't the most unpleasant way to pass a day.

Still, though, the siren song of the exhibition hall was calling to me. Damian and I did manage to find a spare few minutes in which to chat with some starstruck Dr. Who stallholders (Dee's stepmum is Wendy Padbury, who played Patrick Troughton's assistant Zoe, so they went a wee bit crazy) but aside from that we didn't get much of a chance to browse the goodies. Fear not, I'll definitely try to punish my wallet a little tomorrow before the 'Schrödinger's Girl' panel.

I'll be posting clips from my various interviews as soon as I get them through but for now check out the monkeygoatboy interview I told you about in the day 1 blog. I was totally shattered that day, having only got 3 hours sleep the previous night, and the interview was only supposed to take 2 seconds but ended up being almost a minute of director-pwning fun. Enjoy! I've got to do some serious buffing up for the next movie I'm going to be in so perhaps I'll start arm wrestling people more often... Any suggestions for potential victims?

Finally, as this blog seems to be seriously lacking in colour, here are some of my favourite pics from the 'Con. I've been particularly impressed by how all-out people have gone with the costumes here and, being a bit of a fancy dress addict, I've been taking notes for future use. Hmm... cheetara or steampunk Lara Croft? - yet MORE decisions!

Milly x

No comments:

Post a Comment